Mumia, again

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 12 21:55:30 PST 2000

[bounced bec of a taboo word - pls strip out the s*bscribes!]

Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 20:32:51 -0800 From: Michael Pugliese <debsian at pacbell.net>

Michael Yates posted today on the thread re: Marc Cooper on Mumia. This post on the misc.activism.progressive newsgroup struck me as having more organizing savvy than the Cooper piece would have one believe.

Michael Pugliese ----- Original Message ----- From: Greg Butterfield <theredguard at hotmail.com> Newsgroups: misc.activism.progressive Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2000 8:46 PM Subject: [PRISONACT] Emergency National Conference to Save Mumia: Feb. 19

> A Call to Organizations and Organizers:
> Emergency National Conference to Save Mumia Abu Jamal
>
> Saturday, February 19, 2000,
> Synod Hall of the
> Cathedral of St. John The Divine,
> New York, NY
>
> The case of Death Row Journalist Mumia Abu Jamal stands at a pivotal point
> in the fight against capital punishment and for justice in this country
and
> around the world.
>
> This case is now at its most critical stage. Federal District court
Justice
> [...]
trial.

> It is expected that Yohn's decision on whether to hear new evidence will
be
> handed down sometime in March or April. If we lose at this level, it will
be
> immeasurably harder to win in the federal appeals courts. After this
stage,
> the appeals process is very rapid and could result in a new execution date
> before the end of 2000.
>
> Obviously much work must be done to affect the outcome of Judge Yohn's
> deliberations. In order to be successful we need to have a unified vision
> and strategy. Thus we are calling an Emergency National Conference to Save
> Mumia Abu Jamal to take place in New York City on February 19 (with
possible
> addition sessions on the 18th or 20th). A major goal is to provide an
> opportunity for a wide array of social forces to come together and
> strategize for this next round in the fight. Participation of increasingly
> wider forces will send an important and timely message that justice is the
> only option in this case.
>
> As organizations and institutions concerned about social justice, due
> process, racism, police brutality, and the death penalty we are calling on
> you to join this effort by endorsing this conference, by joining the
> planning committee, by publicizing, and by participating in the event
> itself.
>
> We suggest that the heart of the conference would be a series of workshops
> designed to strategize around key areas of work (i.e. legal, religious,
> youth mobilization, organizing in communities of color, labor etc...) Each
> of these sessions should come out, not only with a plan, but with a
> structure to implement that plan. Prior to breaking up into workshops a
> short plenary session could launch the conference with one speaker
> describing the day's goal. One of Mumia's attorneys could give a brief
legal
> update and assessment of where things stand in the courts at this
juncture.

> Perhaps the evening could be devoted to "public session to remember." Here
> we would propose an evening scripted program that tells Mumia's story. An
> artfully crafted series of presentations on Mumia life and his writings.
> This would have both an educational effect and an emotional impact. The
> broad public beyond those attending the conference would be invited, and a
> video made. Here there is also a particular role for major artists. For
> example, the program could end with Alice Walker's stirring comments on
> "with whom do you want to walk into the next century?"
>
> We must emphasize the emergency of the moment as well as making sure that
> the organizing committee represents the people and organizations who must
> now become involved. We suggest several levels of advance participation:
1)
> the actual organizing committee with sub-committees for the individual
> workshops, 2) a national advisory board who will be consulted at every
step,
> and 3) individuals to lead workshops, speak or perform.
>
> The conference will map out a battle plan to save Mumia's life and provide
> direction for what role organizations and individuals can must play in
that
> plan.
>
> Suggestions for Workshops
>
> Legal: How to get the amicus briefs on the key legal issues? How do we get
> major law firm(s) to provide the clerical services vital to this work? How
> do we get resolutions by local bar associations, and programs in law
> schools? How do assist the legal team to start work now on the legal
> research and papers that will be needed for various contingencies?
>
> Youth: This should be led by youth and perhaps this should be an all-day
> session. How do we make the case of Mumia Abu-Jamal the issue that "tears
> up" the campuses and high-schools this winter and spring? How to we take
on
> the right-wing anti-Mumia forces trying to reach youth?
>
> Religious: How can we expand the excellent statement already being signed
by
> persons of faith into a nationally publicized statement? How can we
> systematically reach the congregations of major religious denominations?
How
> can we develop acts of witness by religious forces (here work around the
> School of the Americas is a good model)?
>
> Black Community and other people of color: How do we make the case of
Mumia
> into a central felt concern of the Black community as a whole? How can we
> get the Black churches to take this up? How do we put this case in the
> center of the Black media from local papers to BET? How do we reach
> influential groups like the NAACP, Operation PUSH, the King family, and
AKA?
> Community and political outreach to other communities of color including
> Latino, Asian, etc. must also be a focal point of this conference and
> workshops.
>
> Media: How can we get major authors to write a major piece on this case
for
> prominent national publications? Can we hit the other side with a series
of
> full page ads through the winter and spring (educators, religious figures,
> lawyers, etc.)? Who will produce the needed Public Service Announcements?
>
> The Battle in Philadelphia: How can we develop more expressions of support
> in Philadelphia for justice for Mumia? Going up against the attacks by the
> Fraternal Order of Police, the city, and the local media on Mumia's
> supporters. Mobilizing for Mumia's coming court appearances.
>
> Artists & Writers: Building on Mumia 911 and other efforts, how can we
> unleash the talents of writers and artists to continue to create moving
> images and sounds for Mumia? An example is the statement in the Nation by
> Angela Davis, June Jordan, and Alice Walker.
>
> Labor: Building on the labor actions in the Bay Area and elsewhere, what
> forms can actions by organized working people now take? How can we
continue
> the union resolutions working toward pressure on the national AFL-CIO
> leadership to take action?
>
> Lesbian/gay/bi/trans Outreach: Broad layers of lesbian/gay/bi/trans
movement
> have taken interest in Mumia's case in the wake of the brutal murder of
> Matthew Shepard. How can we broaden the Rainbow Flags for Mumia coalition
> which has been endorsed by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, the
> International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission, LLEGO, and Pride at
> Work.
>
> Special Events: How can we promote and make most effective the major
rallies
> and mobilizations in the first half of 2000. Plans for the Republican
> National Convention hosted by Gov. Tom Ridge in Philadelphia in August,
and
> to challenge Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell at the Democratic Convention
for
> his prosecution of Mumia.
>
> Civil Disobedience: What better place than here? What better time than
now?
> Building on the example of the mass arrests July 4th 1999 at
Philadelphia's