Wed Jan 12 23:18:09 PST 2000

Scott wrote:

Jay Mazur (UNITE)
>just wrote a major piece on post Seattle in Foreign Affairs - very little
>on China. Mostly on how to build solidarity.
Thanks i'll look for it.

><<Do you know--or care--what the consequence of the Harkin Bill was on, say,
>Bangladeshi children?>>
>
>Cheap shot - this was not a personal disagreement.

I don't think so. I had already pointed twice to the problem of where this high minded concern about child labor has led. You ignored it. I inferred that you did not care about the problems I had mentioned, drawing from Spivak and Peter Custer's book on capital accumulation and asian women.

>Of course this is not radical enough for you, and you don't seem to see any
>of the changes that are taking place in thought patterns that this
>indicates, but you also didn't answer the questions. Okay the UPS strike
>was good, but what should have happened in Seattle, that didn't to make it
>a legitamate mass action in your mind?

I doubt whether the WTO should have been the occassion for such an organizing effort to turn out the protest. I really doubt the strategy of Sweeney, Hoffa, etc.

>So in Washington what would be your radical demands and how will we get the
>labor movement to adopt them - or should we just poo-poo them as well
>within the norms of capitalist order.

I think US labor should call for a ban on all US exports until the US state gives them every right to use the weapon of the strike and boycott in the broadest fashion.

Thanks to Michael Hoover for that deeply disturbing report on the strike in the Brooklyn factory.

Yours, Rakesh