Fwd: Davos Bans Demonstration

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Jan 14 10:12:20 PST 2000

Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 08:54:40 PST

Anti-WTO-Koordination, PF 7611, 3001 Bern, Fax: 031 302 78 74 Info: http://www.reitschule.ch/reitschule/anti-wto

Dear friends!

Yesterday the city of Davos announced that it won't tolerate the international demonstration against the 30. World Economic Forum WEF on january 29th for which the anti-WTO-coordination switzerland and other groups called. For the security of US-president Bill Clinton and against any resistance (We guess they know what happened in Seattle!) thousands of policemen, private security guards and military will transform the little place in the swiss mountains into a high security area. The anti-WTO-coordination protests against this decision which is a clear violation of our civil rights and which is another strong proove for the way the so called 'global leaders' of the WEF deal with critical mouvements and the huge part of the people around the world, especially in the south. It's the same spirit like the one of the MAI or the Millenium Round of the WTO: All rights to the investors. We deny the WEF and other private meetings of the economic lobbies every legitimation to negotiate the future of our world.

We call all progressive mouvements and groups to support and sign our letter of protest. Unfortunately we didn't manage until now to translate this text in English. Please mail your answer as soon as possible to: Anti-WTO-Koordination >anti-wto at reitschule.ch<