Valid Conspiracy Theory

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 14 13:20:53 PST 2000

At 11:59 AM 1/14/00 -0500, jks wrote:
>Personally I think the appeal of conspiracy theories is that it makes our
>enemes seem more evil if they are supposed to know that they are doing wrong
>and still gleefully agree to do it. But this is a deeply anti-materialist
>perspective. Materialism tells us to look for structures that constrain
>interests, not for bad people. The system is an awful one, to be sure. But
it
>is not awful because the Czar is advised by corrupt ministers. It is awful
>because of the sort of system it is.

Ditto. Conspiracy theories attribute the superior position of th eruling class to their eveil intelligence, but seem to be oblivious to the fact that it is the control of material resources that really matters. A moron with resources can beat a genius without them.

A good illustration comes form a poker game. You can have a full house and all the poker genius in the world, but if a moron with a pair of jacks bets more than you can match, you can stick your full house and your poker genius to you know what. The moron wins the game.

This is my last posting on the conspriracy subject.

wojtek