WHAT COMPANY IS THIS?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Jan 14 20:07:36 PST 2000

i confess. mbs

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of John K. Taber Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 10:38 PM To: 'lbo_talk' Subject: WHAT COMPANY IS THIS?

Somebody, I can't make out who, posted this:

>WHAT COMPANY IS THIS?
>
>Can you imagine working at the following company?
>It has a little over 500 employees with the
>following statistics:
>
>* 29 have been accused of spousal abuse
>
>* 7 have been arrested for fraud
>
>* 19 have been accused of writing bad checks
>
>* 117 have bankrupted at least two businesses
>
>* 3 have been arrested for assault
>
>* 71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
>
>* 14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
>
>* 8 have been arrested for shoplifting
>
>* 21 are current defendants in lawsuits
>
>* In 1998 alone, 84 were stopped for drunk driving.
>
>Can you guess which organization this is?
>
>Give up?
>

>It's the 535 members of the U.S. Congress.

This one is now spreading like a virus through the internet. So I'll repeat my comments on it.

Folks, we elect politicians, not saints, to represent us. If we wanted saints, we would need an entirely different kind of society.

>From the list of offences, and there is no reason to assume
it is a valid list, I say that our representatives represent us pretty well.