US denies Cambodia full quota of garment imports

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Sat Jan 15 09:32:32 PST 2000

Rakesh:

I agree that the world trading system is not close to free trade or fully integrated world market. Is free trade not a utopia?

I do not know what is meant by 'higher vertically integrated labour coefficient', but theThird World exports do not necessarily involve wage repression. What is important for the Third World businesses is the incremental contribution (incremental sales less incremental direct costs). In a growing market, both the Third World capitalist and workers may gain in terms profits, wages and employment. Much would depend on the business cycle, industry segement, level of unionisation etc.

I agree that FDI is not responsible for union busting in the developed world. The Third World would appear to be a net exporter of capital to the developed capitalism, though it would be difficult to prove it.

Ulhas

----- Original Message ----- From: Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 10:27 PM Subject: Re: US denies Cambodia full quota of garment imports