The imprisonment of Egon Krenz

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sun Jan 16 23:51:39 PST 2000

The following statement is no doubt subject to criticism on dogmatic marxist grounds because it does not mention that the state is an instrument by which one class oppresses another. On the other hand the roughness of the justice must be apparent to all who are in the least way sympathetic to the case.

It is well brought out by this statement of the PDS which appeals to an ideal of social justice, which of course can never fully exist anywhere under capitalism.

The case also illustrates the importance of increased attention to civil rights in international law even if they transcend past conventions about state sovereignty.

It is better that we can argue over the relative justice of imprisoning Krenz or Pinochet, on their merits, rather than that we should not be able to argue at all, which is what left deviationists on the role of the state imply.

Chris Burford

London

___________________________________

PDS International

Statement of PDS Chair Lothar Bisky and Parliamentary Group Chair Gregor Gysi on the imprisonment of Egon Krenz

The people who are responsible for this really go out of their way to suppress any idea of reconciliation. Their behaviour has a symbolic meaning. On the occasion of the 10th anniversary of the great change and on the threshold of the new century the last GDR Head of State is sent to prison with the clear intention to confirm the doctrine of the alleged criminal character of the GDR state.

The PDS has consistently criticised the former GDR leadership and in 1990 excluded them from the party. Among them was also Egon Krenz. Considering the responsibility he, too, had to bear for the erroneous policy of the ruling party - the SED - this was a correct decision.

But now ten years have passed. We think it appropriate to recall the fact that it was Egon Krenz who in autumn 1989 took the initiative to prevent the authorities from using force in the developing conflict thus avoiding bloodshed. This is a historic merit which must not be despised.

In contrast to many a former leading person Egon Krenz recognised his personal responsibility for his subordinates, did not shift the blame onto the border guards.

The fact that FRG courts have sentenced him in our opinion goes against the German constitution and against international law. In this respect we are in the good company of renowned jurists also from the West of Germany.

One need not agree with every word Egon Krenz has uttered during these last years on political or historical matters. But he has learned a lot and accepts his responsibility.

An erroneous policy must be thoroughly analysed and criticised, yet it is not punishable. Whatever one may think about Egon Krenz, his imprisonment is a mistake, it damages legal culture and creates insecurity, it has an adverse effect on mental unification, it does harm in every respect.

Berlin, 13 January, 2000