Greenspan on Seattle

Mon Jan 17 12:34:22 PST 2000

Hi Christian,

> Could you give me the reference for the Sachs piece that you're talking
> about?
Ulhas downloaded it here.

> I have my reasons for thinking this is true, though I'd like to know yours.
> Partly because I think you could argue something like the opposite: i.e.
> that in emphasizing the "malign invisible hand" of the market and the
> consequences of competition on an international level (pace Lenin),
> Brenner's argument requires some idea of real-world integration or
> "globalness" to economic activity.

Good point. I should have said that Brenner helps to illuminate that globalisation has NOT taken the form of a more developed, more complementary intl division of labor; rather real world globalisation--in simplest terms, the attempt to secure greater world market share in order to achieve the economies of scale by which unit costs can be reduced and declining profit rates thereby counteracted--has pitted national industrial complexes against each other in zero sum games, inducing the resort to subsidies, protection, regionalism, competitive devaluations, predatory greenfield investments, etc.

Yours, Rakesh