Rape Prevention 101

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:43:25 PST 2000

>Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:41:21 -0500
>To: pulp-culture at infothecary.org
>From: Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>
>Subject: Re: Rape Prevention 101
>
>At 09:22 AM 1/18/00 -0500, you wrote, inter alia:
>>thought margaret, maureen, yoshie might appreciate this:
>> Evolutionary Psychology
>> Teaches Rape 101
>> By: Judith Shulevitz
>> Evolutionary psychology is not very good on
>>the aspect of the
>> human psyche she's personally most interested
>>in, which is
>> how humans are different from animals. Ev
>>psych insists,
>> rightly, that we not ignore our similarities
>>to the higher- and
>> lower-order creatures, but it's weak on
>>subjectivity,
>> self-awareness, self-consciousness, whatever
>>you want to call
>> it--on how we explain our tangled mass of
>>hormonal impulses
>> to ourselves. And yet this ability to reflect
>>on ourselves
>> underlies art, architecture, poetry,
>>government, journalism,
>> and all the other forms of willed culture and
>>communication
>> that animals don't and can't have. The new

Kultur, kultur, uber alles, huh? The fact of the matter is that we have no way of knowing anything about animal subjectivity - which is a waaaaaay different statement from saying tha animals do not have it. But that is not good enough to those who are in the business of elevating kultur to the defining factor of human superiority.

Well, "wenn ich Kultur hoere, entsichere ich meninen Browing"

PS. The sociobiological argument presented in this piece does not have to contradict the culturalist view - while the biology might be the driving force behind human behavior, culture may define the legitimate ways that behavior take form - a neo-freudian view if you will.

wojtek