nationalism & imperialism (jim o'connor)

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Tue Jan 18 21:22:24 PST 2000

>>Foreign policy is for elites and would-be elites. Same goes
for the environment, by and large.

Max,

I think Seattle changed that; perhaps a little perhaps a lot...we'll see. Another sense I got from N30 was that imperialism is a big time feminist issue too, at least on the West Coast of the US. Women in this town were railing against US imperialism directly, with megaphones and large PA's at several intersections throughout the course of the day. They also were way out in front of a lot of men in town on how to fight back and we should all take heart from that, given they can get away with saying some things about us and to us that men couldn't take from each other without foaming at the mouth about "you'll never work in this town again" type shit, if not actually throwing punches. History ought to be on their side for a couple of centuries at least...

The town is still on fire,

Ian