Biz Media wilt the Fragile Flower of Masculinity

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Jan 19 20:43:14 PST 2000

>gak, peter, i can't believe, but maybe i can, that faludi signed on to this
>one.... nuttin like pathologizing failure as an individual [almost social
>problem] so we can treat it with a pill or therapy.

>Several noted psychiatrists confirmed that this
>disorder had become increasingly evident among their
>male patients. "More and more young men in their late teens
>and 20s are exhibiting signs of distress," said Dr. Winston
>Thurston, a professor of neuropsychiatry at Yale University.

What's (APE)? wait 'till the crash when we'll have an epidemic of day trader rage freak outs.

"This is not a psychotic episode, it is a cleansing moment of clarity."

--Howard Beal in Paddy Chayefsky's "Network"

from the un-pc onion http://www.theonion.com/

Millennium Actually Starts In 2001, Terrorists Note DAMASCUS, SYRIA--With the world breathing a collective sigh of relief following the violence-free passage into the year 2000, an international coalition of terrorists issued a reminder Monday that the new millennium does not actually begin until Jan. 1, 2001. "Technically speaking, we are now in the last year of the 20th century," said Mahmoud al-Habib, a spokesperson for the terrorist organization Hamas. "Since there was no year zero, next New Year's Eve is the real time to detonate bombs in Times Square and blow commercial airliners out of the sky." Speaking from a secret bunker in the Kashmir hills, Osama bin Laden agreed. "We were all set to blow up the Eiffel Tower," bin Laden said, "when one of my suicide bombers pointed out that it should actually be done next Jan. 1, not this one. I suppose we'll just have to wait."

AOL Acquires Time-Warner In Largest-Ever Expenditure Of Pretend Internet Money DULLES, VA--In the largest merger of imaginary assets in corporate history, Internet giant America Online last week acquired media megacorp Time-Warner for an unprecedented $161 billion in pretend money. "This merger will revolutionize the way invisible amounts of non-existent cash are transferred," said Steve Case of AOL, a company whose actual revenues are a tiny fraction of its make-believe valuation. In an effort to keep pace with AOL, website blairwitchproject.com is expected to acquire General Motors sometime later this week.

Goddamn Ficus Plant Should Come With Instructions ALBUQUERQUE, NM--According to area resident Howard Braddock, 44, the goddamn ficus plant in the sun room ought to come with some basic fucking instructions as to what to give it and when. "I'm either overwatering it or underwatering it," said Braddock of the dying plant. "But unless I get myself either an owner's manual or a Ph.D in botany, I may as well just flip a friggin' coin." Braddock further noted that whatever the hell's wrong, three leaves fall off every time he even so much as breathes on the damn thing.

Bathroom-Disinfectant Ad Reinforces Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder WENATCHEE, WA--A TV commercial for Lysol Bathroom Disinfectant Spray sent OCD sufferer Janine Whittaker plunging even deeper into the disorder Monday. "Germs... germs everywhere," said Whittaker, furiously scrubbing her bathroom's new, already-gleaming shower tile with an industrial-strength ammonia-based cleanser after viewing the Lysol ad. "That commercial is right: Invisible germs and mildew lurk everywhere--in the tub, on the toilet, on the countertops, and in those hard-to-reach spots under the sink." Whittaker was hospitalized in March 1999 after watching a 30-second spot for Palmolive Anti-Bacterial Dishwashing Liquid.