help

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Thu Jan 20 00:49:40 PST 2000

Chris Burford wrote:

> > help
>
> I am glad Doug asked for details promptly, because I found this a bit
> disturbing.

And to think I'd been contemplating a somewhat snide retort to that seemingly ill-directed plea.

> There is a theory in psychology that explains why a large crowd can stand
> watching someone being attacked and do nothing. People are more likely to
> get involved if there is *not* a large crowd.

The topic of which is oddly germane to many other discussions on this list and elsewhere vis-a-vis the nature of collective activity. The above expresses something of both the up- and the downside of same. A large-scale demonstration vs covert action. Rage Against the Machine vs the Hafler Trio. I have to assume the "vs" is part of the problem, however.

> Perhaps in future people seeking help can be explicit about what they want.

And, if possible, ask in the right places.

--

/ dave / (paying off credit cards this week, fool that I am)