Class Power

kelley oudies at flash.net
Thu Jan 20 13:00:32 PST 2000

At 12:17 PM 1/20/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> I think that focusing on "class" is somewhat misleading. I would ditch
class, but keep the word "power". We should speak in a more general way: Homo sapiens is a social animal and as such there is a drive for power over others. All of us are power hungry--which is not necessarily a bad thing.

if it's the case that all of us are hungry for power, then tell me how insisting that "all of us are hungry for power" isn't your own attempt at asserting the power to define who and how people are--and naturally so to boot--as if your view is just the way it is and not misleading and "not necessarily a bad thing" [good escape hatch you built in for yourself but denied anyone else] and anyone else's position focusing on class is not the way it is, is misleading [that is, a bad thing].

oh and how does the description "social" lead to a "therefore" claim that social existence always already implies a contest for and struggle over power?

kelley--

p u l p c u l t u r e http://www.flash.net/~oudies/pulp_culture.htm