NYT admits to being in conspiracy with gov't

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 20 13:00:29 PST 2000

[bounced bec of an attachment]

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:47:26 -0500 From: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu>

I sent e-mail to the NYT regarding their continues supression of the Cinese embassy bombing story. I got this reply from the foreign editor.

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique

Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:00:23 -0500 To: Enrique Diaz-Alvarez <enrique at anise.ee.cornell.edu> From: Andrew Rosenthal <andyr at nytimes.com> Subject: Re: Chinese Embassy bombing and NYT censorship In-Reply-To: <388729BB.8872E7AE at ee.cornell.edu> References: <4.2.0.58.19991026125328.00b3d770 at mailgate.nytimes.com>

<4.2.0.58.19991026174733.00b18100 at mailgate.nytimes.com> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed X-Mozilla-Status2: 00000000

Mr. Diaz-Alvarez,

Our reporters spent a great deal of time on this. They found nothing to substantiate the Observer's stories. You may notice that neither has any other newspaper that I know of. Some carried the original Observer story, mostly as wire service dispatches, but none found anything there on which to follow up. Must be we're ALL in a conspiracy with the government.

Andrew Rosenthal