bounding

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 20 13:19:42 PST 2000

There's one bit of jargon in Bellow's article that I'd appreciate help on, "bound." Can someone tell me what the last sentence in the paragraph below means?

Thanks,

Michael

<quote>

The 1979 Framework Agreement known as the Enabling Clause [of the GATT] also provided a permanent legal basis for General System of Preferences (GSP) schemes that would provide preferential access to developing country exports. A signficant shift occurred in the Uruguay Round. GSP schemes were not bound, meaning tariffs could be raised against a develping country until they equalled the bound rates applied to imports for all sources.

<unquote>