Bello on nixing the WTO

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:32:38 PST 2000

What Michael (or Welden Bello) says before is an improvement over other proposals for this or that reform of WTO -- but it is really necessary to have the *framework* of thought determined by the needs of mass movements, *not* by theories over what particular bureaucratic arrangements would be better or worse. Stop thinking, in other words, about what would be the details of a desirable international trading agreement. Think *only* of how demands can be formulated in the form of *NO to X." What should replace X (even what is proposed here) simply complicates the task of organizing *and* turns the movement over to experts to do the bargaining. And that bargaining will be empty. The establishment side will agree to verbal formulae (which it will then implement at it pleases) while the protesting side will agree to be good and go home.

Carrol