G. Bush: US in Holy War Against Iraq?

Daniel F. Vukovich vukovich at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 20 22:36:57 PST 2000

At 11:03 PM 1/20/00 -0500, you wrote:
>What was the point of this "aren't they barbaric!" story?

Good question. Or what was the point in forwarding it, for that matter, other than to take a cheap shot at Arabs/Islam, or to indulge in that pleasure of "realizing" that, after all, even we are not that bad. We are still modern! (Esp. us atheists) The frisson or downright pleasure of Eurocentrism, or of Orientalism to boot? (I hope that doesnt sound too "pc" but Im not going to rehearse Amin or Said here, not now anyway) What are the wages of whiteness in an international frame? The satisfaction of knowing that, after all, things were better in the good old days under the degraded Worker's State, and/or that, after all, the Taliban is not a product of the twin evil empires -- the fSU and the USA-- but of "fundamentalism" and "Islam."

I have known that colonialist ideology runs amuck on the so-called "left," from journalists and activists to prof.'s and scholars, which was why I was so pleased today, to snag from the library James Blaut's book on The Colonizer's Model of the World. But I used to think that Said over-stated the case in re Islam and Arabic culture *specifically* (at the expense of the so-called Far East, China in particular, and the "Asiatic" more generally). I know better now, and not least b/c of all the various "wars", ideological and material, over Kosova, as well as the self-serving and self-righteous hand-wringing over the Taliban.

------------------------------------------------------ Daniel F. Vukovich Dept. of English; The Unit for Criticism University of Illinois Urbana, IL 61801 ------------------------------------------------------