G. Bush: US in Holy War Against Iraq?

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Fri Jan 21 02:02:10 PST 2000

Zack wrote:

>At least the Afghani people in Marc Manson's story have the guts to be
>honest with themselves about their justice system.

>Well, this may seem all a bit out of line. But perhaps people will think it
>is something worthy of discussing. The left these days is very obsessed
>with the crimes of other countries like China, and Afghanistan. And it just
>seems a shame that there is so little energy in comparison, these days,
>going into stopping the worst human rights abuser: ourselves (i.e. America).

Zack,

There's some truth in what you say, but simply because some folks will find here an opportunity to enjoy their racism (to make it seem acceptable because it's peddled in the name of justice) does not for all that mean presupposing an equation between "the left" or "ourselves" and the *US left*, now does it?

Nor does it warrant delivering a mild apologia in the form of "they have the guts to be more honest about their justice system" simply because one can point to injustices (worse or same), or perhaps a certain hypocrisy, closer to 'home' -- your home.

Seems to me you repeat the problem which resides at the base of that which you want to decry. That is, either this 'we' -- "ourselves" -- includes workers, the poor, from china, afghanistan, australia ... or it does not. If it does not, then all that remains is to approach the issues of 'others' with (take your pick) missionary and enlightened beneficience, or removing issues that affect 'others' entirely from one's political radar or -- when they are raised -- delivering apologias in the form of "yeah, it's awful, but we're worse".

If 'we' does extend beyond the US left, then the perspectival problem which assures an "aren't we so civilized" gaze is not self-evidently given, and such postings should be an occassion less for the assertion of one's apparent superiority -- or denial of it, which is the other side of the coin -- than for discussion of substantive issues that affect 'us'.

No guarantees; but just a thought.

Angela