japan and migrant labour

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Fri Jan 21 03:56:11 PST 2000

Apropos recent postings on migrant workers in Japan:

The Japanese Foreign Ministry's "Report of the Mission for Revitalization of Asian Economy" (Dec 1999), says "The time has come to seriously consider actively bringing in human resources from abroad to supply the people who will provide medical and nursing care and fill other needs as our society ages.... Effective use of human resources in this area would be extremely significant for the strengthening of our economic ties with Asian countries."

I take it this is the context for the proposed increase in internships that you posted recently, Jean-Christophe.

Alongside this, a new law, effective as of Feb this year, makes illegal entry and stay in Japan a criminal offense, with penalties of imprisonment or forced labor of not more than three years and fines of three million yen.

Angela