health care, part 3

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Fri Jan 21 09:06:48 PST 2000

Marta writes:

"HMMM never heard this one before. Usually if one qualifies for SSI, the means tested program for poor disabled administered by Social Security, one automatically qualifies for Medi-Cal."

Yeah I can't remember the specific name. The only county around here I know of who subscribes to it is San Mateo. I think it was an early add-on to Medi-Cal so it is state specific. It was supposed to cover some class of kids who were part of a long term state tracking system--some 'legacy' piece of old state hardware. It might not be means tested--but I am not sure on that.

"This all points to the need for a universal health care plan that all states must equally adhere to." (Marta)

Yes. My real point in these tedious postings and rants is to illustrate what the system is and how it works. Most people are completely ignorant of these systems until they need them. So, one stupid 'reform' proposal after another is hauled out and paraded around. People react to these proposal blind. These all have hidden agendas and usually reflect some commercial interest group behind the scenes pushing the package. That is why I wondered why Nathan Newman was pushing Bradley's plan.

Any way, with the Bradley plan, the Clinton plan, the Health Insurance Association plan, and so on we are seeing the tactic that was so successful mounted in the early Nineties. Propose a dozen slightly different me-too plans, clog the bandwidth with noise, then nothing gets through. If a new round of 'healthcare' debates arrives in the Spring, I won't be surprised if by June there are more than a hundred different plans, none of any merit, and all manage to completely numb the public.

Chuck Grimes