Kovel

Pahtoo at aol.com Pahtoo at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 12:23:26 PST 2000

In a message dated 1/21/00 11:57:36 AM Pacific Standard Time, sawicky at epinet.org writes:

<< Comparisons regarding who's got a bigger

activist pedigree, when mixed with arguments

about politics or ideas, are not constructive.

I am a little surprised by the treatment of

"facts" by our two anarchist brethren.

Joe Stalin might be embarassed, or proud.

I couldn't say. To wit:

"The facts are:

Mike Dolan colluded with Seattle authorities in the mass arrests of peaceful

anti-WTO demonstrators . . . "

[mbs] Exactly what constituted collusion in this case?

That's not a rhetorical question, nor are

those that follow. I'd like to know.

[mjd] When things fell apart for Seattle authorities that fateful Tuesday, a hasty meeting was called to decide what to do Wed. AM. Administration representatives had said that Clinton wouldn't come to Seattle unless the situation was brought under control. It was decided to arrest anyone who arrived early in the AM. This strategy was flown by Dolan (Mayor Paul Schell has repeatedly stated this.) and Dolan acquiesced. Over 500 were arrested merely for assembling.

" . . . and then acquiesced in their illegal detention . . . "

[mbs] what should/could he have done to avoid 'acquiescing'?

Throttle the Chief of Police?

I sat on my ass while the Indonesian army slaughtered

Timorese. Did I "acquiesce"?

[mjd] A crowd of protesters went to the jail demanding the release of the detainees. Dolan was called in by Seattle authorities. He told the protesters that "we have a deal," implying that those illegally detained would be released. Instead, the Mayor later angrily interpreted the deal (citing Dolan by name, once again) as "we agreed to give them food, medical care and access to attorneys....what more do they want?"

" . . . (wouldn't want to embarrass Clinton, now, would we?) The Mayor of

Seattle has verified this. (This, in addition to carrying out diversions at

the WTO protests, . . . "

[mbs] What "diversions" exactly?

[mjd] on Monday night there was the WTO Opening Gala for delegates. Religious groups planned (and carried out) a vigil/protest of some 4000 at the Gala. Dolan, meanwhile, scheduled a counter Gala at the Key Arena (provided free by Seattle authorities) and flooded the town with flyers touting the event. He had Michael Moore (the good one) listed as MC and had Northwest icon Ken Kesey also on the bill. However, Moore was not MC (Dolan, himself, was), Kesey never showed. A music program with Laura Love singing love songs to her booty (I kid you not! I have it on videotape) and a procession of political opportunists giving speeches (Jello Biafra the only one with anything worth hearing) to a crowd of some 9000, who clearly were diverted away from the real Gala.

The next day, Dolan (at least the takes credit for it in every media piece I've seen) planned the Labor Rally and Parade that took place some 15 blocks from the police riot. At no time during the entire three hours of self-congratulatory speechifying, did anyone even mention the beatdown being administered on other members of the supposed "coalition," much less issue a call to go to their aid.

"consistently condemning the street warriors to the press, while, at

the same time, taking a lot of "I did this" credit for the entire media

attention the street protests garnered.)"

[mbs] This bit does not inspire confidence in the rest of

the remarks. These seem at worst political opportunism,

mixed with some egotism. Not exactly a rare commodity in

any politics.

[mjd] we hear all about the vaunted new coalition, yet at every opportunity, Dolan (and Benjamin) condemns the nonviolent street protesters, not a single bad word for the sadistic coward cops. Just who is in Dolan's coalition?

" . . . And, there is ample footage of Medea Benjamin and her cohorts

assaulting black Seattle youth . . . "

[mbs] Really? Assaulting how, exactly? Pushing away?

Punching out? Stomping? Cutting their hearts out?

Where is this footage?

[mjd] Punching out, throwing on the ground and stomping. The footage is available from Cascadia Alive - Tim Lewis (541) 344-8966