"The good news is you're in charge"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 14:12:57 PST 2000

[Droll dispatch just off the wire. Further evidence, were it needed, of the profound difference between Republicans and Democrats.]

Biden Joins Helms in Criticism of United Nations

By The Associated Press

United Nations -- A day after conservative Sen. Jesse Helms upbraided the United Nations, the top Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee today joined in the criticism and said fundamental structural changes are inevitable.

"I know it, you know it, we all know it," Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Del., told Secretary-General Kofi Annan and other top U.N. officials.

Biden's message was far less harsh than the sharply worded one delivered Thursday by Helms, R-N.C., the Foreign Relations Committee chairman, in a speech to the Security Council.

But Biden said that while he does not share Helms' conservative politics, he too believes the United Nations must overhaul his practices.

Congress has imposed a set of conditions on repayment of nearly $1 billion in delinquent U.S. dues to the world body, conditions that were written by Helms and Biden. They include a lower U.S. share in running the United Nations.

"Fundamental changes have to take place," Biden told the U.N. officials. "The good news is you're in charge."

[end of excerpt]

Carl