A Primer on Medicare

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 21 19:13:00 PST 2000

But medicare recipients are surely only a small portion of HMO's business-- or perhaps I do not understand the US situation. Isn't Medicare for the elderly in the US, and Medicaid for the poor? There is a huge market for medical care aside from the elderly. Probably most of the elderly would not opt for HMO's since they would face limits etc. and HMO's are not likely to want them either since they are expensive! So the fact that few Medicare recipients are in HMO's is not surprising and does not allow one to derive any conclusions about their future. Why not look at the total numbers from the whole population in HMO's over a period of years and see if it is increasing or decreasing and go on from there on the basis of analysing factors that might lead to decreases or increases?

CHeers, Ken Hanly