Responsibility

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 21 23:25:46 PST 2000

Sometimes the weather (happenings to you) is explained by human action, as when clouds are seeded to produce rain or when greenhouse gases are explained by human activity warming the atmosphere. In these instances the weather does not just happen. Some happenings caused by humans however are not explicable as caused by human actions, as when I happen to step on the dog's tail or squish a caterpillar without even noticing the fact. These are just happenings. Actions themselves are typically explained by intentions, purposes, etc but these in turn can be explained by happenings. I am cooking bacon and eggs. Explanation: I intend to cook myself something to eat because I happen to be hungry.

Since rainstorms, blizzards, etc. don't usually have purposes (except to people who see God's purposes in them) they are happenings. But happenings and actions are not distinguished by happenings being caused and actions not. There are people who think that mentalistic concepts such as purpose, desire, intention, etc,. what are called folk psychology concepts would be banished in a truly scientific explanation of behaviour--just as phlogiston, ether, and elan vital have been banished from scientific discourse. I find that view hardly intelligible. Causal explanation will never adequately explain human behavior. As Socrates pointed out ages ago it would be ridiculous to explain why he was in jail awaiting his execution by citing prior physical causes that led to his limbs marching his body into prison or however you want to put it. But it is nevertheless the case that he is in jail because events in the environment caused certain things to happen in the brain that caused his limbs to move that landed him in the jail.

The fact that human agency is part of a causal chain does not mean human agency has no efficacy. You don't distinguish determinism from fatalism. A causal factor in a strike may be the perception that safety regulations are not being observed by the company. This may cause a wildcat strike. This is a group action and it may cause the company to mend its ways or call in the police or whatever depending on the circumstances. The strike caused the company action. The company action was not fated to happen. Indeed without the group action it would not happen at all. A blinding light may cause a truck driver to steer into the ditch. This is a happening rather than an action. In this case too there is no fate even though there is no action at least not the action of steering into the ditch. Without the driver steering as he or she did the truck might not have gone in the ditch.

I have no idea what you mean by not being able to distinguish between action and behavior if you are a hard determinist. I always thought that actions were a form of behavior for anyone, determinist or not. If you mean by behavior things that people do or at least cause to happen but that are not mediated by purposes, intention, etc., I have just given illustrations to explain the difference and the explanation does not depend upon happenings being part of a causal chain and actions not being such.

To think of oneself as more than a merely determined being does not mean that one has to reject the conception of yourself as a determined being. I think of myself as not merely x amount of chemicals, as a body weighing so much (now), as being a certain age etc.etc. I am not merely any of those but this does not mean I reject the idea that any of these descriptions are true. The same could be true of a hard determinist description of human action.

On consequences as justifying punishment: Rawls in his discussion of telishment in the article TWO CONCEPTS OF RULES, shows that institutionalization of the practice would have such bad consequences that no utilitarian would defend it. For example, one would never know when one might be picked up and telished for something you hadn't done just to deter people. And why would people be deterred if they might be punished (telished) whether they did it or not? True this would defend only a rule consequentialism but that is another matter. I actually don't think act utilitarianism is hurt by your critique but it would take some time to argue that.

I am not convinced that Marx was clearly a consequentialist or a retributivist although in his discussion of capital punishment he clearly seems to favor retributivism but only within a classless society As an ideal he applauds the retributivism of Kant and Hegel as justifying punishment.. His criticism of capital punishment however is often consequentialist. Capital punishment does bugger all to reduce murder rates as he points out. If Marx is a retributivist why does he argue this way? Why doesn't he say capital punishment is the only fitting punishment-- as Kant rants on about the lex talionis and Hegel goes along with the same old venerable bit of faeces I assume. Marx also cites protection. Society can protect itself by putting the person in jail etc it doesnt need to kill the criminal.But this is a consequentialist critique. A retributivist would say that Marx misses the point completely in these arguments. Of course Marx has some nasty things to say about Bentham but they are related to Bentham's values more than consequentialism per se.. Bentham has the values of British shopkeepers, I think it goes. And much of what Marx says about the inapplicability of retributivism seems to assume the sort of determinism you reject. For a retributivist such as Kant, the penniless person who steals to feed his or her family is equally as responsible as the rich kid who steals something just because he or she finds it attractive etc. Retributivism and the abstract concept of the free dignified human agent assumed by philosophers such as Kant ignores the causal influences at work entirely and Kant's views in particular are warped by his opinions on race and gender, and these in turn were no doubt determined by features of his own culture and upbringing.

Well this is long enough!

Cheers, Ken Hanly