nationalism & imperialism (jim o'connor)

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Jan 22 08:09:07 PST 2000

Max, since states and elites decide what a country does and doesn't do (unlike domestic matters, where ordinary people have more of a say), I use "country" = "states and elites.">>>

[mbs] All well and good, though when I hear a political assertion a little newsreel unwinds in my head, wherein the assertion is placed before the masses. In this case, the equation is likely to baffle, annoy, or anger people who think it is an attack on them. For some on the left, present company excepted, this is exactly what it is, since 'left' in this case is a mode of alienation, not political activism.

. . . As for individualism as an ideology, take a look at the first and last chapter of Accumulation Crisis (Basil Blackwell, 1983). . . .

I will.

Your analysis of imperialist ideology is plausible but, it seems, hard to be certain about. One could imagine other ways of characterizing something as hard to get a fix on as public attitudes.

mbs