Reading: RE: G. Bush: US in Holy War Against Iraq?

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 22 12:58:50 PST 2000

Daniel, I can assure you that Yoshie, Rakesh, and I have read a lot of Edward Said and a lot of Foucault.

The *New Politics* section I was referring to was the edition of *New Politics* , which Michael Sprinkler editted, in which about 5-8 writers reviewed Ahmad's book, including Sprinkler and then Ahmad responded. It was there that it is clear that the strategy of the critics is to avoid seriously discussing the argument of the first and last chapter and to avoid just as studiously Ahmad's criticism of Said's bizzare reading of Marx.

For the hell of it, I even read Foucault's history of sexuality in Chinese...See what living in Taipei drove me to...

Steve

Stephen Philion Lecturer/PhD Candidate Department of Sociology 2424 Maile Way Social Sciences Bldg. # 247 Honolulu, HI 96822