nationalism & imperialism (jim o'connor)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jan 22 13:36:09 PST 2000

Nasreen Karim wrote:

> The fact is, historically speaking, a big part of Marxist
> thinking was not able to break away from an Eurocentric (hence, I dare say,
> imperialistic) thought pattern. Even Gramsci, who is otherwise so
> illuminating, showed clear signs of Eurocentric prejudices in his writings.

Could this help explain why the only marxists after Lenin who stand out as indisputable giants are non-europeans -- Cabral, Mao, James, Ho. Perhaps, though he was not a marxist, one should nevertheless add Malcolm. There have been innumerable fine marxist scholars and activists (and activist scholars), European and non-European, but none stand out as these men do.

Carrol