War as a happening thing

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 15:04:43 PST 2000

<<

> >didn't Baudriallard deny that the Gulf war really happened,

> > it was all TV anyway?

> Do you have the passage where he wrote this at hand?

No. Actually I didn't read it myself, I just read it quoted.

>Given the definition of pomo seems increasingly to hinge on whether one

thinks the world today is the same as that of the 1930s, . . .

Wha?

> Does Baudrillard mean to confer validity on this perspective

from in front of the American TV? I'm not convinced that he does;

but I am convinced that his displacement of critique by ironic immersion

does not work. Routine references to the phrase "the gulf war did not

happen" in discussions, sans deadpan irony, proves that >>

Well, who knows about B. But I once did engage in a public debate with a pomit at a panel on Marxism and pomo where she (no one famous, a prof at Kenyon) really did admit that the assassination of the Archbisop Romero was just a text and it was not so that at the back of all the texts there was a man in his blood on the cathedral floor. She was not being ironic.

--jks