Orientalism Revisited (was RE: G. Bush: US in Holy War Against Iraq?)

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Jan 22 16:51:17 PST 2000

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Daniel F. Vukovich wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Anything substantial to say?
>
> "Just to clarify": Are you juvenile, or do you just act that way on the
> Internet? I'll await your replies to my arguments, but wont hold my breath.

Daniel,

I have no idea what about my clarifying who said what has irked you so. The way Yoshie clipped gave me the sense that potentially people could confuse your remarks with mine. If anyone should be 'offended', I would think it would be Daniel...

> As for YF's post, I couldn't tell you squat about _The Persians_ text,
> and whether or not her or Said's reading thereof was the better one, and it
> would have been filtered anyway, had you not decided to forward it to the
> whole list again. Please quit wasting my time.

Again, I just see what the big deal is. All I did was send out the post once more making sure it was clear. People on internet lists occasionally do this, noonne usually makes a big deal about it. Yoshie didn't seem to take offense, which follow since she surely knows none was intended...

I just disagreed with Carrol about an issue. He argued that perhaps the only significant Marxist contributions in the last 50 odd years came from non-European sources...I disagreed with him, suggesting Seezy, Mandel , among others certainly made just as valuable contributions...Carrol might or might not respond to me...I hardly expect him to be angry at me for disagreeing with him...I'm sorry that I disagree with you makes you so angry...I always thought post-modernists were supposed to believe in and respect th evaule of the multiple-floating discources that are floating out there...not trash someone for disagreeing with them....

I'm glad you like Ed Said to the hilt and despise the worthless Ahmad... Little in the world, of consequence, changes, whether you do so...or not.

Steve