Responsibility

Sat Jan 22 11:18:33 PST 2000

>>> <JKSCHW at aol.com> 01/21/00 12:55PM >>>
In a message dated Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:05:28 AM Eastern Standard Time, James Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com> writes:

Also, underlying support of capital punishment and of harsh
> punishments by the criminal justice system generally is
> bourgeois individualist ideology. According to this idea
> we are each masters of our own fates. Each of us bears
> ultimate responsibility for the choices that we make, for
> what we make of ourselves whether good or bad.

Do you actually disagree with this proposition? Do you think that if I rob a bank, or perhaps, since we are on LBO I should say, if I found a bank, and am hauled in front of Doug's revolutionary tribunal, I should be able defend myself by saying, I wasn't responsible! I am just a creature of society! Bourgeois ideology made me do it!

(((((((((

CB: Even bourgeois jurisprudence teaches that of the three bases for punishment - deterrence, rehabilitation and retribution - only the first two are valid. It doesn't matter whether society made someone so that that would be a banker. They still may need deterrence and/or rehabilitation. There is no need to blame the individual to justify punishment of an individual banker or other capitalist roader for deterrence and rehabilitation.

Send bankers to rehabilitation camps.

Charles