election polls

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Sun Jan 23 14:52:28 PST 2000

Gore benefits from the fact that Bill Clinton is so popular with poorer folks and overwhelmingly popular with lower-income black folks. That overwhelming support translates to Gore (along with the AFL-CIO endorsement), leaving only more middle class folks in play for Bradley to court (including leftist intellectuals). As well, most people in the country are not paying much attention to the race, so a "Bradley who?" response leaves most Dems falling into the Gore column until they are convinced otherwise.

I would venture to say that Nader's vote in 1996 was also much more heavily upscale than Clinton's and it was definately much whiter.

-- Nathan Newman