In defense of Nader

Prashanth Mundkur mundkur at ece.uci.edu
Sun Jan 23 15:25:22 PST 2000

I remember that someone on the panel (was it the Proctor Gamble fellow?) had also mentioned a book by the Association for Trade Expansion or somesuch in response to the Wallach book on the WTO, detailing numerous "inaccuracies and falsehoods" in it. Nader said something like "cheap shots" in response.

Has anyone seen this book?

--prashanth

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:18:06 -0500
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Re: Nader attack: your posting
>

> kayak3 wrote:
>
> >I'll have to read some of his stuff. A couple of weeks ago I listened to
> >the debate on trade that you talked about on your web site. It seemed
> >that secretary of trade Aarons (SP?) really nailed Nader a couple of
> >times during the debate while Nader continued to repeat the same old
> >anti-corporate line without any effective rebuttle. Because of this I'm
> >even more disinchanted with Nader than I was before the debate.
>
> Yes, I thought Aarons did nail Ralph, esp on the question of how a
> consumer advocate could want to restrict trade, since that would
> reduce choice, increase prices, and encourage domestic monopoly.
> That's not a bad point, though not an unanswerable one, but Ralph's
> answer was meandering and weak. He said something about how
> restricting oil imports would make us self-sufficient, as if
> self-sufficiency were a self-evident virtue. And he said someething
> about how restricting pornography imports is a good idea too. It
> really pointed out how weak Nader's economic analysis is.
>
> The crowd, of course, hated Aarons and loved Ralph, so by the
> applause meter, he won.
>
> Doug

--prashanth