Herodotus, Anyone? (was Re: Orientalism Revisited)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Jan 24 02:51:37 PST 2000

Carrol:
>> In short, Said obscures the origin of Orientalism by falsely assimilating
>> the world before capitalism (including ancient Greece!) to our modern world.
>
>One feature of eurocentrism (in many or most of its manifestations) is
>the inclusion of ancient Greece and Rome in "Europe." Europe (the
>Europe which is a creation of capitalism) in a sense "colonized" those
>civilizations after the fact, a manufacturing of geneology captured
>in such words as "Kaiser" and "Tsar." Someone some day may be
>able to write a long book on this theme, taking as their central text
>the near 70 years of the comic strip Prince Valiant.

Let's look at what ancient Greeks said about other peoples. Herodotus writes of the Persians:

***** No race is so ready to adopt foreign ways as the Persians; for instance, they wear the Median costume because they think it handsomer than their own, and their soldiers wear the Egyptian corslet. Pleasures, too, of all sorts they are quick to indulge in when they get to know about them -- a notable instance is pederasty, which they learned from the Greeks....The period of a boy's education is between the ages of five and twenty, and they were taught three things only: to ride, to use the bow, and to speak the truth. Before the age of five a boy lives with the women and never sees his father, the object being to spare the father distress if the child should die in the early stages of its upbringing. In my view this is a sound practice. I admire also the custom which forbids even the king himself to put a man to death for a single offence, and any Persian under similar circumstances to punish a servant by an irreparable injury. Their way is to balance faults against services, and then, if the faults are greater and more numerous, anger may take its course....They consider telling lies more disgraceful than anything else, and, next to that, owing money. There are many reasons for their horrors of debt, but the chief is their conviction that a man who owes money is bound also to tell lies. *****

Concerning the origins of Greek gods & learnings, Herodotus had this to say:

***** The names of nearly all the gods came to Greece from Egypt. I know from the inquiries I have made that they came from abroad, and it seems most likely that it was from Egypt, for the names of all the gods have been known in Egypt from the beginnig of time, with the exception...of Poseidon and the Dioscuri -- and also of Hera, Hestia, Themis, the Graces, and the Nereids. I have the authority of the Egyptians themselves for this. I think that the gods of whom they profess no knowledge were named by the Pelasgians -- with the exception of Poseidon, of whom they learned from the Libyans; for the Libyans are the only people who have always known Poseidon's name, and always worshipped him. Heroes have no place in the religion of Egypt.

These practices, and others which I will speak of later, were borrowed by the Greeks from Egypt. This is not the case, however, with the Greek custom of making images of Hermes with the phallus erect; it was the Athenians who first took this from the Pelasgians, and from the Athenians the custom spread to the rest of Greece. For just at the time when the Athenians were assuming Hellenic nationality, the Pelasgians joined them, and thus first came to be regarded as Greeks....

The Egyptians who live in the cultivated parts of the country, by their practice of keeping records of the past, have made themselves much the most learned of any nation of which I have had experience....The practice of medicine they split up into separate parts, each doctor being responsible for the treatment of only one disease. There are, in consequence, innumerable doctors, some specializing in diseases of the eyes, others of the head, others of the teeth, others of the stomach, and so on; while others, again, deal with the sort of troubles which cannot be exactly localized.... *****

It is clear that ancient Greeks, whatever vice they may have had, were not in the business of the "Blessings-of-Civilization Trust," nor did they possess "the European imagination" & the noxious idea of "the Western Civilization"; capitalism (and its ideological offsprings liberalism & racism) unknown to them, they were free to admire & adopt other peoples' customs and learnings, often considering them to be superior to their practice.

Yoshie