Orientalism Revisited

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 09:59:21 PST 2000

OK, Rakesh, I see we are still on the same page. Sorry if I was unintentionally rude. I certainly didn't mean to dis Indian culture.

I don't agree that liberal rights somehow "contain" totalitarianism. Some of Frankfurters used to talk like that too, but I think it's idealism. Anyway, liberal rights are not the be all and end all; it's just that we have found nothing better so far.

Whether capitalism required Judaeo-Christianity, who knows. I have always been suspicious of the Weber thesis.

I agree that Marxism is not a universal science of s, but I am not sure that I would go as afar as Korsch in saying that it is only a science of bourgeois society.

--jks