Responsibility

Brett Knowlton brettk at unica-usa.com
Mon Jan 24 11:32:32 PST 2000

Justin,

I (Brett) wrote this stuff, not Brad.

In any case, I didn't mean to say that its OK when poor folks mug rich folks. And, as Wojtek pointed out, the victims in most cases are the poor also.

My point is that social justice demands the elimination private ownership of the means of production. But this should be accomplished via a social movement, not individuals taking matters into their own hands.

Brett

><< Many choices which are considered "bad" by society at
> large do not bother me at all, such as the choice to smoke pot or get high
> on heroin. Similarly, many property crimes are probably justified from a
> social justice perspective. The left needs to do more than just say, "I
> believe in responsibility too," which most people will take as conservative
> position. It needs to clearly articulate what responsibility means in a
> larger context, and educate people on social justice issues, in order to
> fully reclaim the concept from the right. >>
>
>I agree with Brad about the inanity of our drug laws. Pot should be legal,
>period. Heroin should be availlable by prescription. From a purely
>consequentialist pov, overcriminalization of drugs probably creates crime as
>addicts steal and mug to get their fixes.
>
>Brad's conception of property crimes as a sort of self-help social
>redistribution, however, is naive and sentimental. Even if it would be more
>just for Robber to have the money in Lawyer's wallet, and even if a just
>society would take the money from Lawyer in taxes and give it to Robber as a
>subsidy, that doesn't mean that it's OK for Robber to take matters into his
>own hands. There is a social harm in fear and the violation occasioned by
>even nonviolent property crimes that you are not taking into account. Have
>you ever been robbed or burglarized? And the fear and violation are far
>greater, and the rsik of physical harm much higher, with violent crimes.
Have