uncanny parallels, revisited

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Mon Jan 24 20:47:57 PST 2000

Fanshen is a wonderful book and William Hinton is a great man too. I believe his daughter made a fine film about the dismantling of a very successful commune. Actually a lot of inspiring books were written about China before and after the revolution of 1949 such as Red Star over China by Edgar Snow and many others.

By the way , I saw a very interesting exhibit of photographs at the International Center for Photography in Manhattan, the subject of which was photographs from the US and the USSR in the 1930s with the focus on the propaganda impact of both sets of photos. Very compelling images.

Michael Yates