Medicare fraud

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Jan 25 07:35:03 PST 2000

"M.Blackmore" wrote:

> I have pretty strong
> views about the NHS having now lived in the UK for 30 years. Use of the
> word "liars, thieves and degenerate scum" and the appellation "uncivilised
> country" to the USA and the dominant health care private organisations in
> their resistance to universal competent health care for all, are those
> words which I feel able to write in a public forum. I can supply many more
> in private which express my views more succinctly >;->
>
> How long before the American people realise that theirs is simply not a
> civilised nation, but a collection of competing barbarities?

One of those barbarities being that the average salary for a health care conglomerate CEO is about $30 million per year!

In the U.S. there is no incentive for the private companies to look for fraud within their own - when have we ever heard of a supplier or doctor for that matter turning another one in for fraud? -- so there has to be strong government regulation. Americans may be waking up somewhat but in the past they have sided with the anti-regulatory factions "get government off the back of business" - this attitude is a mantra in the Chamber of Commerce which as you know is comprised mainly of small business owner types.

In the U.S. since there are so many people already engaged in for profit health care activities it *will* take a major revolution to undo the dreadful system. The medical suppliers and providers are constantly protecting their backs at the local, state and national levels.

Marta