Why Decry the Wealth Gap?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Jan 25 09:28:45 PST 2000

Someone wrote:

> In fact, to follow your manner of speaking, I would
> proclaim that anyone not interested in equality can
> hardly be considered a leftist of any sort.

What about Karl Marx, who showed a great deal of interest in freedom and virtually none in equality? See, among other things, his famous atatck on "equal right" in the Critique of the Gotha Programme.

That's a new one on me. I'm happy to stand corrected, but I have to think this is either a) controversial; or b) that marx's rejection was more rhetorical more than philosophical. But most anyone would know better than me on this q.

mbs