Why Decry the Wealth Gap?

Tue Jan 25 10:29:52 PST 2000

Someone wrote:

> In fact, to follow your manner of speaking, I would
> proclaim that anyone not interested in equality can
> hardly be considered a leftist of any sort.

What about Karl Marx, who showed a great deal of interest in freedom and virtually none in equality? See, among other things, his famous atatck on "equal right" in the Critique of the Gotha Programme.

&&&&&&&&

CB: This seems more an attack on bourgeois equal right by Marx, exactly because bourgeois equality is in words not deeds and material needs, or with respect to wealth. Marx's " From each according to ability to each according to work, and from each according to ability to each according to need" from the Critique of the Gotha Programme, seem to uphold relativity of equality, as affirmative action does.

CB