Why Decry the Wealth Gap?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jan 25 19:14:22 PST 2000

> My rational side says that numbers are important because people tend
> to overestimate the wealth and income of others, and have a
> subjective poverty line that's something like twice the U.S.
> government's. My irrational side says that the numbers don't really
> matter, and that the overestimates are the product of fantasy, and
> may be immune to rational refutation.

I don't get it. How do you decide which side is the rational one? Perhaps its your irrational side that allows itself to be befuddled by numbers? What does it mean to be rational? I would assume rationality would merely be the label we give to human thought & feeling. So it is useless

as an explnatory concept, all possible propositions containing it being tautologies.

How would you give it a non-tautological content?

Carrol