Fw: Orientalism Revisited

Ulhas Joglekar ulhasj at bom4.vsnl.net.in
Wed Jan 26 04:51:30 PST 2000

Rakesh,

I am familiar with some of the work published in the vernacular. Y.D. Phadke is a prominent historian of the 20th century Maharashtra. His work has not been translated into English. There is a volume of Phule's complete writings in the vernacular. Then there are writings of Ambedkar and his followers. However, the broad picture presented is by you will not undergo major changes. Phule and Ambedkar were the most influential figures in the movement for social reform in Maharashtra. There is no anti British sentiment in Phule's work. While there can be no doubt about Ambedkar's patriotism, he is hardly known for militant anti-imperialism. Absorption of Satyashodhak movement in the Congress coincides with loss of its reformist zeal.

My remarks about Marx were based on my sense of Marx's overall work, particularly Capital and Grundrisse. I am not familiar with Krader's arguments. However, I am sceptical about the idea of a pre-existing human essence corrupted by capitalism.

Ulhas in Mumbai

----- Original Message ----- From: Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 12:47 PM Subject: Re: Orientalism Revisited

> Ulhas,
>
> >Untouchability practised in India for centuries was no less responsible
> >for'deformation of human character'
>
> Who has said otherwise? Marx seems to have falsely imagined an egalitarian
> character to the communal basis of the Asiatic Mode of Production. In part
> this is why he saw no class conflict therein.
>
> Let us be clear: the debate I was having was with Justin over his overly
> positive characterisation of western civilization, so I reminded him of
> Marx's more--dare I say--dialectical view.
>
> and the most enlightened representatives
> >of untouchables saw the British Rule as an opportunity to escape from the
> >idiocy of rural life in Medieval India.
> The British Rule created the
> >possibility of the rule of law, urban life, access to education etc.
which