University of Toronto Teaching Assistants' strike; request for assistance [fwd]

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 26 07:45:32 PST 2000

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:30:45 -0500 oudies at flash.net wrote:

> i'm curious how much you are working with undergrads. it really seems
like the way to have gone.

The undergrad student council, which prides itself on being "radical" - condemned both the union and the administration. The administration took this to mean, 'fire the TAs' and restructure the courses. In general, communication with undergraduates has been a tremendous failure (in my perspective). We try to distribute leaflets and such, but because no comprehensive email list exists, the information that most undergrads get is limited to hot rhetoric (which never serves to persuade). We have received more undergrad support since Monday, when the admin offered the union less than the jan offer. But it seems that the campus is being divided along pretty stark lines. This isn't good for anyone.

> not only are they the Tuition Bearing Beings and populace the unis compete
for but there are lots of them and there is no way the admin are going to arrest them -- and then there are there parents who might be influenced by them.

We're encouraging undergrads to demand their tuition back if the courses are restructured. They paid for TAs, let them have their TAs.

> ahhhh hell, who knows? i'm curious how much effort was put into working with
the u-grads on this one. george said something about solidarity with theprofs, but you know, i think the better move back in Nov would have been teach-ins for the u-grads.

It's tough, getting (intelligent!) information out. Things change so quickly it seems. Those who want to know, know. And those in the middle get rhetoric, and those who don't care - scab or drive their cars through picket lines.

> oh ken, i don't know what to say. these are such complex frightening
moments...i remember being scared shitless in high school having organized a sit down strike in support of striking teachers--who don't really strike, but picket on their breaks--because they were w/o contract.

I have mixed feelings about the "forcible confinement" - I'm not sure, other than creating a spectacle, that it helps our cause. And it certainly doesn't read well in the media, "Students lock President in room." Those with tendencies to support freedom of movement won't be inclined to support the TAs.

> i was naive.

I'm still naive.

> oh geez, here's an idea: a fucking festival. it's too cold your way for a
true fucking festival, but give them a spectacle, a simulcra. give them a massive traversal of the fantasy. don't give 'em what they want and expect, which is righteous, angry students. give them celebration, give them jouissance, fake it if you must, but seriously invite every artist musician performer in toronoto and have them just hold events all over hell.

I'll recommend the idea. Likely it will float down the same tube as my "moon the administration day."

ken