death penalty again (was: Responsibility)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jan 26 13:17:37 PST 2000

Joanna, I'm replying off list to avoid being dragged before Doug's tribunal for overposting. Please check my posting to the list in reponse to Charles Brown (attached below).

In essence, if you oppose sanctioned killing, then you should oppose euthanasia and abortion, as the Catholics do. I do not. Moreover, I see human life no more valuable than animal life, yet we kill animals. While I have not and would not kill anything (except flies and mosquitos) myself, I do not see any principle that would prohibit death penatly, while allowing euthanasia, abortion, and slaughtering/terminatin animals.

wojtek

enclosure

PS. Probably the only logically consistent argument against death penalty is that proposed by the Roman Catholic Church on the principle that all human life is sacred (god-given, etc.). I do not buy that principle, however, I do not think that human life is any more sacred than, say, the life of animals we eat. Hence I have no fundamental problems with abortion, euthanasia, or death penalty any more than with slaughtering farm animals or terminating stray pets. They are reprehensible on emotional grounds, but they all represent forms of killing socially constructed as legitimate.