Wash Post on WB/IMF troublemaking

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jan 26 13:42:41 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Thank god those badass "anarchists" are safely isolated in Oregon!]
>
> Washington Post - January 26, 2000
>
> Protesters At WTO Plan D.C. Follow-Up
>
> By John Burgess
> Washington Post Staff Writer
>
> Activist groups that paralyzed downtown Seattle during the World
> Trade Organization conference late last year plan to converge on
> Washington in April to protest a joint meeting of the World Bank and
> International Monetary Fund--with some groups pledging to "shut down"
> the gathering with civil disobedience.

Here are my comments on this article, that I sent to the A16 organizing collective:

"This is an amusing article, for several reasons. First of all, Michael Dolan didn't "organize" the Seattle protests--they were the result of the collective action of thousands of people. Secondly, the article states that "violence" isn't being planned, when we all know that this hasn't even been discussed yet. If the Post wants to misinform people about this, that's fine with me. Thirdly, it's really amusing that Dolan thinks that just because D.C. is on the other coast from Eugene, that there won't be property destruction here. What does he know about activists on the East Coast? He also doesn't know that the Eugene anarchists are planning to make the trip for A16. This possibility shouldn't be construed to mean that they aim to repeat their N30 actions. The Eugene anarchists are far from being a homogenous group."

"Lastly, it's really funny that the IMF is trying to build a cooperative relationship with folks that want to abolish it. We'll see how hard they try to co-opt this movement by offering wonk jobs to the more reformist people among the coalition."

Another of our local activists added:

"My favorite part of the whole article could actually missed by most if you don't pay attention to word choice..here is the quote:

"On the morning of Nov. 30, armies of demonstrators linked arms to block access to the Seattle convention center where WTO delegates were to try to start a new round of global trade talks."

"Who is more of an army? Thousands of peaceful demonstrators blocking a grave injustice or hundreds of cops in riot gear, marching in step, using excessive force as if they are trying to win a war, not subdue a "disturbance"...."

elliott

-- Chuck0 http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/

Dr. Laura is scared of this sig file +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+ Mid-Atlantic Infoshop http://www.infoshop.org/

Spunk Library http://www.spunk.org/ "All the anarchy you'll ever need, organized neatly and with reassuring authority."

-- 1998 Rough Guide to the Internet

FREE MUMIA ABU-JAMAL AND LEONARD PELTIER! +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=