Spivak & Eagleton

Sam Pawlett rsp at uniserve.com
Wed Jan 26 19:40:19 PST 2000

"Daniel F. Vukovich" wrote:

In fact it
> is just one big Union over here: virtually everyone who is not an
> anglo-american positivist of one type or another belongs.

Yes, the realists have postmodernism to bash and the postmodernists have 'positivism' to bash. I'd like to suggest a middle ground, to deconstruct this binary but I'm afraid there is really no way of reconciling realism and anti-realism (or irrealism) , modernity and postmodernity.Either you believe the world and truth exists independent of mind and that getting at the truth should be a goal of inquiry or you don't.

We got the
> corner on Continental philosophy too, of course.

It's been 10 years and I still don't know what Heidegger is talking about in section 42 of Being and Time. 'Positivists' write about continental philosophy too. Check out Paul Edwards entry on 'Nothing' in teh Encyclopedia of Philosophy ed. Edwards.

Sam Pawlett