Marx and Equality (Was: Why Decry the Wealth Gap?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 07:30:10 PST 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

>Suppose I have an expensive hobby -- jumping
>out of airplanes, and someone else is into
>tiddly winks.

Under communism, you will no longer want to jump out of airplanes. Your desire to do so is a product of your alienation under capitalism: a temporarily exhilarating mix of conspicuous consumption and risky behavior distracts you from your alienation, but once you hit ground, you are back in the fallen world. After the revo, no "need" to skydive.

But, as a friend of mine said the other day, kids have needs, adults mostly have desires. To each according to her desire....?

Doug