CIA feminist backs Gore

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 09:00:52 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>More cop-baiting?
>
>Why should anyone take seriously condemnation by leftists of red-baiting by
>liberals when various leftists are so willing to engage in this kind of
>cop-baiting?
>
>Especially when the statute of limitations should have run out on this one.

Hell no. It's not cop baiting to point to GS's involvement with the Congress for Cultural Freedom and other CIA fronts in the 1950s. Nor is it cop-baiting to point out that, as Liza said, Steinem refuses to talk about it - quite the contrary, she threatens to sue anyone who brings it up. How about that suppressed Redstockings chapter on Gloria & her mysterious history, which speculated on the mysterious emergence of Ms. magazine, complete with subsidies from Clay Felker & Warner. The history is woefully under-known, as I discovered in my chat with anti-feminist Katie Roiphe some months ago, who'd never heard the story.

Doug