Marx and Equality (Was: Why Decry the Wealth Gap?)

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 27 12:03:17 PST 2000

At 10:52 27-01-00 -0800, you wrote:
>>Brad De Long wrote:
>>
>>>Please, sir. Does this mean that after the revolution our weekly
>>>diet will be (per person):
>>>
>>>7 pounds of wheat flour
>>>1 cans of evaporated milk
>>>2 pounds of cabbage
>>>1/2 pounds of spinach
>>>6 pounds of dried navy beans.
>>
>>God no. I'm not a hair shirt kind of guy at all. After the revo,
>>arugula & goat cheese for all (though Michael Perelman can stick
>>with black beans and brown rice if he likes). I was trying to point
>>out the problem with the use of "needs" in the classic from each/to
>>each formula, since human needs, after the very basics, are very
>>complex and plastic. Lots of reds don't like talking about desire,
>>but I think they should.
>>
>>Doug
>
>Chez Panisse Restaurant
>Downstairs Dinner Menu
>Thursday, January 27 $59
>
>Frisée aux lardons with foie gras, hazelnuts, and Banyuls vinegar
>Chino Ranch salsify and wild mushroom soup
>Grilled Willis Ranch pork loin with mustard, blood orange, and
>cornichons; glazed turnips and Kabocha squash purée
>Red wine pear feuilleté
>

>...cost: 70% of average daily U.S. GDP per capita

Can't have a meal like that without wine, which adds another, what, twenty bucks? Plus tip of 20%, let's be generous, comes to about $95.

(BTW, I love the big hat on those cornichons, what a lovely mix of Wild West and ooh la la.)

As for your beans, Brad, I know I couldn't work my way through six pounds of them a week. I'd be tempted to sell them but where'd be the market, what with everyone else wanting to sell theirs...

~J

www.overlookhouse.com