Marx and Equality (Was: Why Decry the Wealth Gap?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Jan 27 13:07:41 PST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

>Marx would probably say you don't really know your desires until
>your needs are first guaranteed. Humans are only truly free in the
>absense of need. Freedom is the mastery of necessity or fulfillment
>of needs. You only know your desires when you are thus free.

How do you know this? When people find their basic "needs" fulfilled - and these themselves are very plastic - do they want less or more? Is the Lacanian trinity need/demand/desire - which begins with a child making an unfulfillable demand on a caregiver, leaving a perpetually unsatisfied residue of desire (or, in Freud's famous formulation, there's no satisfaction in satisfaction) - just a historical oddity of capitalism that will disappear on the attainment of the ineffable quasimystical state of Communism (which sounds like a formulation full of desire to me)?

More questions to irritate Carrol.

Doug