Valid Materialist Theory

Thu Jan 27 15:40:57 PST 2000

>>> <DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com> 01/27/00 02:40AM >>>

>Nukes are cheap. The great cost in the military
>budget is non-nuclear procurement and labor. By
>making nukes less feasible, JFK could have had
>the effect of raising the budget, not lowering it.

Yer thinking too much like a macroeconomist here, MBS. On the absolute dollar cost of the military budget, you may be right. But nobody's going to get rich selling uniforms and soup cans to the Army -- too low margin. If you're in the "military industrial complex" game, you're in it to build big-ticket, high-margin, non-commoditised miilitary capital goods. Which at the time, meant nukes.

&&&&&&&&

CB: Thanks for mentioning that, dd. I was thinking the same thing about macro/micro last nite. You all are teaching me something about macro/micro.

>From a marketing standpoint, "nucs are cheap" sounds like a sales pitch from "nucs are us". (But wait until you see the cost overruns, and what do you do with the nuclear waste ?)

&&&&&&&&&&&

I have no horse in this race, having vowed never to see another film with Kevin Costner in it fairly early on in his career.

>It was either that or "cancer man."

This one went over my head -- Americanism, I assume?

dd

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.